From Bluegrass to Bluebonnets______________________________________________________
My Petty Line
(01) Thomas and Elizabeth (Garton) Petty.
(02) William and Elizabeth Petty.
(03) Hubbard and Mary Petty.
(04) Theophalus Petty, Sr.
(05) Theophalus Petty, Jr was born c1795 in North Carolina, He died between 1870/80 in Burnet County Texas. He married Charlotte Sorrells on 31 January 1818 in Butler County Kentucky.
Charlotte, born c1795 in North Carolina, (according to census records) and died between 1860/70 in Bastrop or Burnet County Texas. She was the daughter of John Sorrells, an early resident of Butler County.
Theophalus and Charlotte migrated to Texas about 1848
accompanied by the families of their two married daughters,
Clarissa (Petty) Drake and Elizabeth (Petty) Woodward.
They first settled in Milam Land District, part of which later became Milam County, and were there in the 1850 census. In Bell County latter part of 1850/51. By the census records of 1860, Theophalus and Charlotte had moved to Bastrop County where other family members, descendants of John Petty from Hickman County Tennessee, had settled and established the Pettytown community.
Theophalus and Charlotte had the following eight children, and two whose names are unknown.
(06) Clarissa Petty, born c1820 in Kentucky, died 4 July 1905 in Burnet County Texas, married James Monroe Drake on 17 April 1844 in Butler County Kentucky.
James Drake was born c1824 in Kentucky, died 1897 in Burnet County Texas.
(07) Sarah Jane Drake, c1845 in Ky, m. Jackson Wilcox, Burnet County Tx on 2 May 1867.
(07) James Walker Drake, b. c1847 in Ky, m. Texana Casbeer, Bell County Tx, 8 Nov. 1870.
(07) Burrella "Burr" Drake, b. c1852, in Tx.2
(07) Theophalus Drake, b. c1854 in Tx, m. Lucinda Hudson, in Burnet County, 26 July 1877.
(07) Alford Thomas Drake, b. c1857 in Burnet County Tx, d. 1929 in Oklahoma, m.¹Mary Ann Smith, ²Martha Louise Hudson, ³Zona Petty.
(07) Andrew Drake, b. c1859 in Tx.
(07) Pauline Drake, b. c1862 in Tx, m. Louis M. Whitney, 2 March 1876 in Burnet County Tx.
(07) David F. Drake, b. c1864 in Tx, m. Mary Kay Whitney.
(06) Elizabeth Petty, born c1822 in Kentucky, died c1850 in Texas, married John B. Woodward on 6 April 1842 in Butler Coubty Kentucky. Census records indicate their two were raised by their grandparents, Theophalus and Charlotte Petty.
(07) Henry Woodward, c1843. (need information)
(07) Frances Woodward, c1850. (need information)
(06) Charoltte Petty, born c1824 in Kentucky, died 5 July 1889 in Burnet County Texas, married Jordan Wyatt in 1849 in "Bexar Land District" of Texas. Jordan was the son of Jordan and Susannah (Welch) Wyatt of Estell County Kentucky.
For details see: Jordan and Charlotte Wyatt
(06) John W. Petty, born c1832 in Kentucky, married Mary A. Crisp on 18 July 1872 in Burnet County.
(07) Ellen Petty, c1873, Texas.
(07) Emma Petty, c1876, Texas.
(07) John Petty, 1878, Texas.
(06) Sally A. Petty, born c1835 in Kentucky.
(06) Nancy Jane Petty, born c1835 in Kentucky. (twins)
(06) Emeline Petty, born c1840 in Ky, m. William H. Perry on 2 July 1867 in Williamson County Texas.
(06) David William Petty, born c1844 in Kentucky, died 12 January 1923 in Caddo,Oklahoma. Married Martha Elizabeth Perry on 23 December 1866 in Williamson County texas,
(07) John D. Petty, c1868 in Texas.
(07) Theophalus Petty, c1869 in Texas, died 20 November 1916, married Cynthia Caroline Wallace on 2 January 1892 in Collin County Texas.
Cynthia was born 27 March 1878, and died 1 December 1970. Both Theophalus and Cynthia died in Collin County.
(07) Zona C. Petty, c1871 in Texas, died 1970 in Caddo, Oklahoma. She married ¹Jordan Wyatt, son of Jordan Wyatt and Charlotte (Petty) Wyatt. license in Lampasas County, 24 July 1886, divorced October 1889. Married ²Alford Thomas Drake,cousin Alford, b. c1857, was the son of James Monroe Drake and Clarissa (Petty) Drake.
(07) Flora E. Petty, c1874 in Texas, married a Myrick.
(07) Alzada Petty, c1879 in Texas, married a Adair.
NOTES & SOURCES:
The Petty Papers, Vol. 2 published July 1977.
Census and Tax records, Butler County Kentucky,
Census and Tax records, Milam, Bell, Bastrop, and Burnet Counties in Texas.
History of Bell County Texas, by George W. Tyler, page 103.
History of Burnet County Texas, by M.G. Bowden.
Marriage records of Burnet, Bell, Williamson, and Collin Counties.
Additions and corrections to these pages are welcome.
Genealogy Index Page | Dollie's Story | Photo Album | Texas Hill Country | Bluffton | Lake Victor |
Wyatt | Herridge | Sorrills
Prichard | Petty | Petty Papers | Bobbie's Notes